October 2006 Awards
Steamboat Springs, Colorado, USA –
The Culinary Grant Fund was established in 2003 to assist culinary students in need of financial assistance.
In March of 2006, we awarded fourteen culinary grants for the 2005 academic
year. Since that time we received more than 170 applications from students at 30 different culinary schools across the country and abroad. Eligible students must attend a culinary school at the time of the award, show proof of their financial need, and provide a 500-word essay.
The reviewing panel for the October awards consisted of seventeen chefs, executive chefs and culinary professionals from various organizations around the world. We are pleased to award twelve $1,000.00 grants to the following students:
- Sean Liam Quinn, Culinary Institute of Canada, Charlottetown, PE
- Heather Robyn Rubenstein, L. A. Wilson Technical School, New York
- Jordan Taylor Wood, Sullivan University, Kentucky
Lee Oswalt, Johnson and Wales University, Charlotte
- John William Kleifgen, Culinary Institute of America, New York
- Asha Kali Hertel, Johnson and Wales University, Charlotte
- Eric Francis Rovegno, Pueblo
Community College, Colorado
- Emily Alice Riddell, Le Cordon Bleu, Paris
- Chanda Martin, French Culinary Institute, New York
- Karreesa Monique Allen, The Art Institute of Washington, Virginia
Renee Robertson, Texas Culinary Academy
- Mary Lynn Allen, Johnson and Wales University, Providence
Funding for the October 2006 grants were provided by Chef2Chef.Net, the proceeds of fundraising dinners and silent auctions at the Chimney Park Bistro in Windsor, Colorado and at the Two Rivers Winery Chateau with the Cowboy and The Rose Catering Company in Grand Junction, Colorado as well
as revenues derived from cookbook sales and private and corporate donations. The next round of Grants will be awarded in April, 2007.
About the Chefs4Students.org Culinary Grant Program
The Chefs4Students Culinary Grant Program is administered by the Yampa Valley
Community Foundation and contributions may be tax deductible. Please call Chef
David Nelson at 970-846-0059 for further information on how to help us give back
to the future of the culinary industry.
Recipient Karreesa Monique Allen (l) and Director
Paul Magnant (r) at The Art Institute of Washington.
Recipient Mary Lynn Allen (l) and Greg DiStefano
(r) at Johnson & Wales, North Carolina.
Recipient Chanda Martin (l) and Chef June Jacobs,
CCP (r) at the French Culinary Institute, NYC
Recipient John William Kleifgen (l) and Ruth Stern
(r) at The Culinary Institute of America, New York.
Recipient Sean Liam Quinn (r) and Hazel Boswall (l)
at the Culinary Institute of Canada, Price Edward